Find your way around Jeju Island and look out for points of interest in your vicinity!
Many people rent a car to drive around Jeju Island because it's more convenient, and it's not very expensive as compared with Seoul. Rental fees for compact cars normally start from 20,000 ~ 30,000 won for 24 hours during off-season or shoulder season.
1. Car Rental at the Airport
Major car rental companies
Name Phone No. Location of counter Web site AVIS car rental 1544-1600
(Service hours: 08:00~20:00)
1st floor, at the exit https://www.ajrentacar.co.kr/en/index.do Lotte car rental 1588-1230
(Service hours: 09:00~19:00)
of the waiting room https://www.lotterentacar.net/eng/main/index.do Jeju car rental 1588-3301
(Service hours: 07:30~22:00)
of the domestic line arrival http://www.jejurentcar.co.kr (Korean)
2. Requirements for Renting a Car
Driver's license, passport and credit card
In order to rent a car in Korea, you must have a valid International Driving Permit (IDP) or a valid driver's license issued in Korea. An International Driving Permit (IDP) allows citizens of a foreign country with a valid driver's license to drive while in Korea. You must obtain your IDP in the same country that issued your driver's license. Some car rental companies require both the IDP and the local driver's license (i.e., driver's license issued by the country of residence), so it is advised to check the rental requirements of the relevant companies in advance. Those with a Type 2 driver's license issued in Korea can drive a car carrying up to nine passengers, while those with a Type 1 driver's license issued in Korea can drive larger vehicles accommodating ten or more passengers. For IDP holders, the type of vehicle you are permitted to drive will depend on the classification stamped on your IDP.
• An International Driving License will NOT be accepted. Driver must either have a valid International Driving Permit or a license issued in Korea.
• Major categories of driver's license: Type A allows you to drive two-wheeled vehicles / Type B allows you to drive vehicles with 9 seats or less, that weight 3.5 tons or less / Type C allows you to drive freight trucks that carry more than 3.5 tons / Type D allows you to drive vehicles that can have more than 10 passengers.
A passport is necessary for identification purposes; a copy of your passport may also be needed to complete your request. Vehicle rental fees must be paid with your own credit card.
Note1. The full name listed on your International Driving Permit (IDP) and your passport must be identical. If the name differs, your driving permit will not be accepted.
2. International Driving Permits (IDP) recognized in Korea are only those issued by a member state of the Geneva Convention or the Vienna Convention. Your IDP can be used for up to one year after entering Korea (the IDP itself is valid for one year from the date of issue).
China is not a member state of the Geneva Convention or the Vienna Convention, but an IDP issued in Hong Kong or Macau is accepted in Korea. IDPs issued anywhere else in China do not have validity in Korea.
Click here to check the member states of the Geneva Convention (English)
Click here to check the member states of the Vienna Convention (English)
• Don't forget to check in advance if the international driving permit or driver's license issued in your country has validity in Korea.
Driver QualificationsThe following are based on AJ Rental Car's rental requirements (most Korean car rental companies have more or less the same requirements).
Additional DriverIf a renter wishes to add an additional driver to their rental, the additional driver has to register with the rental company as well for insurance purposes. The number of additional drivers is limited to one only, and this person is required to visit any of the service branches available and precede the confirmation process, which will be free of charge.
InsuranceBaseline rates for car rentals nearly always include the basic general insurance. However, the risk of damage to or theft of the car is not included in the coverage. Instead, renters can arrange for this independently or purchase an optional insurance or protection plan from the rental company. Any damages to the vehicle will be covered by the insurance policy, but the renter will still be contractually liable to compensate the rental company for the loss of use (unavailability of a rental car and consequent loss of revenue by the rental company due to damage or theft). A per-day loss-of-use charge will be 50% of the car's daily rental fee. For instance, if a damaged vehicle with a daily rental rate of 50,000 won took three days to repair (50,000 x 3 = 150,000), the renter has to pay a 75,000 won (50% of 150,000) loss-of-use fee.
• [Requirements for Renting a Car] is based on Korea Tourism Organization’s introduction.