A brand new travel awaits you every day in Jejudo Island!
Shopping & Food Forays into Jeju’s Traditional Market
The Best Traditional Markets You Should Not Miss
Traditional markets, with their unique culture and myriad of treasures, are often one of the best ways to rub shoulders with the locals. Jeju Island is certainly no exception.
· Tip for your traditional market tour in Jeju: In Jeju Island, middle-aged people, regardless of their gender, are called ‘Samchun (삼춘)’. (In Korea, there is also a similar title of ‘Samchon (삼촌)’, but it is totally different from ‘Samchun’ in Jeju. Samchon means ‘uncle’ in Korean to the brother of one’s father.) So, call the sellers ‘Samchun’, then you might get a bargain!
1. More fun at night! Dongmun Traditional Market (동문전통시장)
It’s almost 7 pm, and the market is starting to bustle. On the other side of the market, sellers at the food stalls are a beehive of activity, preparing their foods for sale. This vibrant late night food market comes alive every evening, running every day from 7 pm to 11 pm.
· No. of stalls: 670
· Location: 20, Gwandeok-ro 14-gil, Jeju-si
2. Shelter for Jeju Olle Walkers & Foodies! Seogwipo Maeil Olle Market (서귀포매일올레시장)
Seogwipo Maeil Olle Market, one of the top 2 biggest traditional markets in Seogwipo city along with ‘Seogwipo Rural 5-Day Market’, is less crowded and more spacious compared to ‘Dongmun Traditional Market’, the biggest daily market in Jeju city.
· No. of stalls: 340
· Open: Daily 07:00 – 21:00 (till 20:00 in winter)
· Location: 18, Jungang-ro 62beon-gil, Seogwipo-si
3. Jeju Folk 5-day Market_The Oldest and Biggest Market in Jeju (제주시민속오일시장)
These days, many tourists can be seen heading to “Dongmun Traditional Market” for food, or to grab any last minute souvenirs before leaving the island; however, the iconic market of Jeju is ‘Jeju Folk 5-day Market’, the largest and the oldest, which opens only 6 times a month.
· No. of stalls: 1340
· Location: 26, Oiljangseo-gil, Jeju-si
4. Seogwipo Rural 5-day Market_A Fun Treasure Hunt? (서귀포향토오일시장)
Fresh and vividly colored fruits are the star at almost all Jeju 5-day markets. Especially orange colored mandarin, grown outdoors in winter, and grown in greenhouses in summer. On one side of the fruit section, you will find tropical fruits like dragonfruits and manggoapples as well.
· No. of stalls: Approx. 598
· Location: 18-5, Jungsangandong-ro 7894beon-gil, Seogwipo-si
5. Sehwa Folk 5-day Market_Like Holding A Beautiful Beach in Its Arm (세화민속오일시장)
Mmm... the fresh scent of the cobalt colored Sehwa Beach… If your tastes run to a more natural environment with fewer tourists, Sehwa Beach is a great choice among the 11 beaches on Jeju Island. The Sehwa Folk 5-day Market faces this unpretentious and peaceful beach, offering many travelers the opportunity to enjoy their ‘me-time’, along with palatable street foods from the market. The market opens only 6 times a month, however if it’s Saturday, you have the added bonus of an arts & crafts market, called Bellongjang (벨롱장)... Read more
· No. of stalls: Approx. 201
· Location: 1412, Haemajihaean-ro, Gujwa-eup, Jeju-si
6. Deajeong 5-Day Market_Want to Taste a Sample from a Jeju Fishing Village? (대정오일시장)
The parking lot sitting quietly unoccupied, starts to fill before we know it. It’s the market day at Daejeong-eup village, the day ending with 6 every month. Daejeong area, on the western side of Jeju, is hardly known to foreign tourists, and “Daejeong 5-day Market” is not as big as Dongmun Traditional Market or Seogwipo Maeil Olle Market. However, residents and frequent visitors from neighboring regions have enough reason to rush here.... Read more
· No. of stalls: Approx. 194
· Location: 65, Sinyeong-ro 36beon-gil, Daejeong-eup, Seogwipo-si
7. Three Pleasures? Hallim Folk 5-Day Market (한림민속오일시장)
The market is rich with exotic and novel scenery, with cherry blossoms in spring and deep verdant winter crops mixed with Jeju’s traditional stone farm-field walls in winter. Major crops grown inside the stone walls are broccoli, kohlrabi, garlic and beet. Want to capture Jeju’s rural landscape and enjoy a traditional market? Pippi’s suggestion is to definitely visit this market....Read More
· No. of stalls: Approx. 175
· Location: 10, Hansupul-ro 4-gil, Hallim-eup, Jeju-city